PA Recruitment/ Job Vacancies

The concept of Direct payments is a government initiative for people who are assessed as needing help from social services, and prefer to arrange and pay for their own care and support. Assistance such as mobility, help around the home and personal care are just a few examples of the type of support required.

What is a Personal Assistant?

A Personal Assistant (sometimes called a PA or a support worker) is employed by people who need social care, either because of their age or disability, to enable them to live as independently as possible. Personal assistants carry out a wide range of tasks as required by the employer, including support with things such as washing and getting dressed, cooking, feeding, and supporting people to go out and about so they have greater independence and the ability to live their life more fully. The key skills needed for being a PA are the ability to listen, be flexible and show a willingness to learn and respond.

Who employs a Personal Assistant?

A PA is usually employed by people who are directing their own care through a direct payment or individual budgets from the local authority, or are funding their own support. Personal Assistants can be employed directly by one employer, can work for a number of different people or could be self employed. The job can be very flexible, offering part-time and full time work on different days and at different times.

Who uses Personal Assistants?

Many different people use Personal Assistants. For example: Older People and disabled adults (over 18) can employ a Personal Assistant directly. Carers (people who are family or friends) of an older person with dementia or an adult who may not be able to make a decision due to severe learning disabilities, may hire a Personal Assistant on behalf of that person. Parents of disabled children can employ Personal Assistants to help them look after their child.

Who can become a Personal Assistant?

There are very few restrictions when it comes to becoming a PA. You must be eligible to work within the UK. You cannot be employed as a PA if you are living in the same house as the recipient of Direct Payments

Important Information Disclosure and Barring Service

Whilst a DBS check is compulsory in most care settings, it is not compulsory for people who are in receipt of Direct Payment/Individualised Budgets. (If you are not familiar with the terms Direct Payments/Individualised Budgets, these are payments made by the Local Authority to disabled people and families of disabled children in lieu of traditional care services. The disabled person or family of a disabled child then use this money to employ their own Personal Assistants with the support of Choices and Rights, and Hull CVS who provide the payroll service).
If you already have a DBS disclosure, it will be helpful if you can bring this with you when you are invited to interview for specific posts. If you do not have a current DBS disclosure Choices and Rights will arrange for one to be completed if requested by a disabled person/family of a disabled child.
Everybody recruited to any individual post, regardless of their race, ethnic or national origin, colour or nationality will be expected to provide evidence that they are able to work in the UK. Some people are automatically entitled to work in the UK. Others may have restrictions on how long they can stay, whether they can work or the type of work they can do.
We hope that this is of assistance to you, however if you need more information or have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact the team at anytime on 01482878778 or via email
Additional information can be found on the Gov website.


Job Search/ available Vacancies

The following vacancies are advertised directly by the disabled person who receives support from the Direct Payment Support Service. Successful applicants will be employed directly by the disabled person who receives support from the Support Service to do this. It is important to note that it is not Choices and Rights Disability Coalition that is the employer. Choices and Rights Disability Coalition are acting on the employer’s behalf and cannot be held responsible for any actions arising out of your employment.

All our jobs can also be viewed on the DWP jobs website:

How to apply

Via Email: Please send a CV and cover letter to The Recruitment Team.
Via Post: Please send a CV and cover letter to The Recruitment Team Choices and Rights Disability Coalition, The Centre for Independent Living, Jude Lodge, Tiverton Road, Bransholme, Hull HU7 4DQ
Applications will be forwarded to the disabled person or their representative, they will then choose which candidates they wish to interview. They may contact you directly or ask their support worker to contact you and arrange a suitable date for an interview to take place.


Personal Data Processing

Information in relation to personal data processing can be found at here or by contacting us and requesting a copy of our Hull Privacy Policy. In this policy, you will find information about our compliance with GDPR (data protection law.) You can find how to send us a request to let you access your data that we have collected, request us to delete your data, correct any inaccuracies or restrict our processing of your data. We would like to keep your data until our position you apply for is filled. [We cannot estimate the exact time period, but we will consider this period over when a candidate accepts our job offer for the position for which we are considering you.] When that period is over, we will either delete your data or inform you that we will keep it in our database for future roles.
Smoke Free Exemption
It should be noted that these post are covered by “The Smoke Free (Exemptions and Vehicles) Regulations 2007 and therefore “The smoke Free Premises and Enforcement Regulations 2006” do not apply to this post. The regulations allow for exception in private dwellings where the work being undertaken is solely to provide personal care for a person living in the dwelling or to assist with domestic work of the household in the dwelling.