General information for disabled people

Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance for people receiving direct payments

Government advices for peoople who buy care and support through a direct payment, as well as local authorities, clinical commissioning groups and those who provide care and support.Click here.

Changes to the Care Act 2014 to help local authorities prioritise care and support during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.  Click here


Good information resource for disabled people at Gov.UK
Good general advice guide .. including information on rights and discrimination at Citizens Advice 

Support into employment

Things are changing fast in the world of employment support. A good way to keep in touch with current provision and developments is by checking on the Gov.UK site
Hull Remploy Office

More employment resources:

Rights at work


Adult Education Centres in Hull
Hull College
Hull Training
CAB Education Guide
Disabled Students Allowances (Disabled Students Allowances are grants to help meet the extra course costs students can face as a direct result of a disability, ongoing health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty. They help disabled people to study in higher education on an equal basis with other students.)

Toilets and Changing Places

Across the country more and more Changing Places toilets have been made available for disabled people who need additional space and facilities like a hoist and a changing table.

These are the Changing Places toilets in Hull:

  • St Stephens, Ferensway
  • Hooper Building, Guildhall Rd
  • The Wilson Centre, entrances off Guildhall Rd and Alfred Gelder St
  • Cycle Scheme, East Park, Holderness Rd
  • Central Library, Albion St (undersized version)
  • Endsleigh Centre, Beverley Road

Radar keys

Some of the public toilets in the city have facilities for disabled  people accessible 24 hours a day with a national key scheme RADAR key.  RADAR keys cost £2.50 and can be purchased from the Guildhall reception or the lending library situated in central library. Proof of identification may be required. Keys are also available from Disability Rights UK


Bus passes

To get your concessionary travel pass you must go in person to one of the City Council’s libraries.

Key Transport providers

East Hull Community Transport including Dial a Ride
East Yorkshire Motor Services
Stagecoach buses
Travel to hospital
Scooters .. Powered scooters are available from TravelExtra at the station on 212832 or from Shopmobility on Level 2 at Princes Quay shopping centre on 225686
More travel information from Gov.UK
Disabled person’s railcard
Rough Guide to Accessible Britain
Tourism for All.. and OpenBritain.Net

Blue Badge Scheme etc

Some disabled people can qualify for a Blue Car Badge that gives them parking concessions. The person should normally be more than two years old. Some people will automatically qualify if they receive Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance, or the War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement. People who are registered blind also automatically qualify.
Some other people can qualify subject to further assessment. To do this the persona must fall within one or both of the following descriptions:

  • drives a vehicle regularly, has a severe disability in both arms, and is unable to operate, or has considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter;
  • is unable to walk or has very considerable difficulty in walking because of a permanent and substantial disability.

Guidance qualifies the term ‘permanent and substantial disability’, saying that it means ‘a condition that is likely to last at least three years’. It goes on to say, ‘It is envisaged that badges will generally only be issued to people who are unable to walk only with excessive labour and at an extremely slow pace or with excessive pain .. Their degree of impairment should be at a comparable level to that required to claim the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance.’

Qualification for Children under 2
Children under 2 may be eligible for a Blue Badge if:

  • the child has a condition that requires that they be always accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around with the child without great difficulty .. or ..
  • the child has a condition that requires that they must always be kept near a motor vehicle so they can, if necessary, be treated for that condition in the vehicle or taken quickly in the vehicle to a place where they can be so treated.

More information on qualification for a Blue Badge
To apply for a Blue Badge in Hull phone 300 300 or call in at one of the Council’s Customer Services Centres.


The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to exchange either their Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance or their War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement to obtain a new car, powered wheelchair or scooter.

Car tax exemption

To claim an exemption from vehicle tax you must be receiving higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or War Pensioners Mobility Supplement.

Housing advice and information

Housing factsheet

Click here to see our housing factsheet for people looking for an accessible property.

More information on housing and grants

Information on Disabled Facilities Grants .. also check here.
Housing advice for people with learning disabilities and their families

Care services

Some people will need additional support at home to live independently. Some people may be considering moving to other accommodation like sheltered housing or residential care. For more information go to the Council’s Social Care pages. These will tell you about assessing needs, the services available, charges for services and independent advice you can get.
Support for disabled parents .. The local authority has a responsibility to support disabled parents in their parenting if they qualify for social care support. Contact adult social care services on 300300 for more information about person-led assessment.

Link to Choices and Rights Personal Assistant Database


One of the best sources of independent advice on a very wide range of equipment (including telecare equipment) and equipment suppliers is the Disabled Living Foundation. Their website allows people to check the pricing of products, compare items and get contact details of all the suppliers of a particular item.
Google can help find the many commercial suppliers on the web.
Independent advice, a mobility service and a demonstration centre are at the William Merritt Disabled Living Centre in Leeds.

Disability sport, sports groups, leisure facilities etc

Lots of information on the Humbersport website.
Disability Sports Directory
Details of the Council’s sports facilities
Tonic card
Cinema card
Museums and galleries

Equality legislation

The Council and other public services have duties towards disabled people under the Equality Act 2010. The public sector equality duty requires public bodies to have due regard to the need to eliminate unlawful discrimination, advance equality of opportunity, and foster good relations across all aspects of equality protected by the Act. More information on the website of the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

Financial and benefits advice

The following agencies can assist with benefits and/or financial advice:
Citizens Advice Bureau
Hull and East Yorkshire Credit Union
Debt advice
There is a comprehensive account of benefits, tax relief and other help on the Gov.UK site

Crime Prevention

This leaflet is useful for anyone concerned with people who call at their door unannounced, perhaps claiming to be someone they’re not.

NHS Services

The easiest way to look for NHS and related services is through NHS Choices. This allows you to search by postcode, location or practice name for GPs, Walk-in Centres, Dentists, Pharmacies, Opticians .. as well as support for carers.


HERIB provides a small or large run transcription service into large print, Braille, audio tape and audio cd.


If you need a family member or friend to help you in your day-to-day life there may be support and advice for them as a carer. Links to some of the key organisations for carers are here.